Friday, July 17, 2015

Another Endless Night

Sit back for a moment while I go get me some more coffee. I have been awake since 11 pm last night after coming off of a two day insomnia. Daughter is sick and so is her fiance, so it was my turn to pick up the slack. Hold on....okay here we go. Today I am sick, not sure if it is from running for two days, or I have managed to pick up their bug.

Dad has been in rare form, God I love him, but this is like having a child all over again. They don't tell you that, pretty much no one mentions that BIG fact. He throws tantrums out of the blue, forgets who you are and decides it is OK to talk to you however he chooses.

Here are some hints on how to handle that situation.
  1. Disengage from the situation
  2. Do not take it personal
  3. It is the disease not them
  4. Find him/her/yourself something else to do
  5. It will be fleeting just give it fifteen minutes and it will pass

He is certain that Christmas is next week and I am too lazy to go buy some presents. I keep telling him that his birthday has not come yet, that is mid summer and when the leaves fall from the trees that is when I go shopping for the holiday. This is not going well insert giggle here.

I was on the phone from 2am to 3am trying to get him back to bed so he can get up this morning and take his medications. Once he is off schedule his symptoms become worse. The hopes that this will get better are gone, the medications do not seem like they are helping any longer. Although using the new depends pull up diapers are much more friendly for him.

He has many days he doesn't realize that Mom is not coming back. I have attempted to do her room several time, but even dusting sends him into a tizzy. I talked to his doctor and he told me to leave it alone until he was ready to handle it. As long as he can go in there and see her things it is a comfort and not to take that away. I have to admit I too find comfort, but also sadness. I will leave things as they are for now. I am just not so sure other people that may happen by the house is going to understand.

Life changes so quickly, and I find myself afraid to open his door in the morning, because I am not ready for the inevitable yet. I have not even grieved for Mom yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment